One of the most misapplied doctrines in all of Scripture... Perseverance of the Saints...
old man joe
2009-10-15 15:16:46 UTC
Perseverance of the Saints replies to the Gnostic's idea that an elect one can ' fall
from grace ' and lose his salvation because of some sin he fell into. this is a logical
conclusion in that since these Gnostic's suppose they accepted Jesus Christ of their own
free will, then of course one can so un-choose Christ of his own free will.

countering this idea, the Synod, as well as all of the elect, find the Bible teaches no
such thing as man having a free will since the Garden, let alone a free will to choose
Christ. and because he didn't choose Christ but Christ chose him ( Jn. 15:16 ) salvation
is built upon the attributes of the One providing it and not on the one receiving it.
1 Jn. 2:12

since man's will is not at all free but is bound by Satan, sin and death, which is by the
righteous judgement of God for man having fallen in the Garden, the hold these three have
on man is wholly outside of himself to rid of... he can only be set free from this
condemnation by the One who condemned him.

man's blindness of this state of being he is subjected to is part of the condemnation. he
sees no need to get into the Ark and perishes... Peace and Safety; all is well...

Falling from Grace is born out of man's idea that because he decides for Christ he can
undo this choice of his. that means that Christ paid for some of his sins but not all of
his sins. this defines the Gnostic's hope in a Savior who simply can not save. the Bible
says to the contrary.

the Word of God witnesses to the fact that Christ saves to the uttermost those who He came
to save. we read " My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one
is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. " the majesty of God Almighty is in one
way shown forth in His ability to accomplish all He is determined to do. none can be lost
because they are redeemed By Christ, God Eternal. the gifts and the calling of God are
irrevocable. Ro. 11:29

because it is God who's written the names of all of His elect ones in the Lamb's Book of
Life, and that man is dead in trespasses and sins wholly incapable of freeing himself from
his bondage to Satan, sin and death by the righteous judgement of God, it is an act of God
to bring into His fold those so written in His Book of Life. at the moment of their
redemption they are given the indwelling Holy Spirit as a down payment in this life of the
promise by God to complete the redemption He Himself provides His elect ones.

all of their sins are paid for, none are left which could possibly condemn them. ( Ro.
8:1 ) they've passed out of death into Life. the Life is in the indwelling Spirit of
Christ giving them the absolute assurance that God has done His work of saving grace in
them. should they fall into sin thereafter, their saving redemption is not even addressed
because that facet of salvation was already addressed and completed... the elect have
Jesus Christ interceding for them always in this life. Heb. 7:25; 1 Jn. 2:1,2 for
example.

since the salvation of His elect ones is built upon the grace of God and not on the
objects of His mercy, the elect forever walk in the Light in whom there is no shadow of
turning. ( Ja. 1:17 ) their partial redemption of being given the indwelling Holy Spirit
is their guarantee that God in Christ will fully complete what He has started in the Day
of Christ's return. Eph. 1:13,14
Fred A Stover
2009-10-16 14:05:24 UTC
Post by old man joe
Perseverance of the Saints replies to the Gnostic's idea that an
elect one can ' fall from grace ' and lose his salvation
<snip>

Heresy!!!!

Jesus was not a gnostic: "he that endures to the end shall be saved" (Matt
10:22): "He that overcomes, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and
I will not blot out his name out of the book of life" (Rev 3:5).
--
His,

More @ www.selah-tx.net

ho echon ota akoueto Preparing the way of the
Lord
Verily I say unto you, Whosoever
shall not receive the kingdom of God
as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
(Mark 10:15)